Monday, September 20, 2010

This is my creative title for my War Horse review.

Last week I had the opportunity of seeing the emotional journey of a beloved and sheltered animal sent into a world of destructive chaos entitled "War Horse." I thought the play was well put together: the use of puppets to represent a live animal was an interesting choice. In some scenes I forgot that the character of Albert was conversing with simply a puppet and not his horse Joey.

I felt that all of the characters were well cast. I especially enjoyed the wandering Irishman who sang during most of the play and acted as a reminder of the homeland. I thought this presence added a certain artistic element that was not over-embellished.

Another aspect of the show that I thought was well done was the use of different languages in their appropriate scenes. Even though I do not speak French or German, I could understand still what was happening between the characters. I thought that this made the journey for the audience more realistic.

Although I felt the production was wonderful, I was not so certain I actually liked the play itself. As the show progressed from the pre-War years of life in Ireland to the hectic and tragic fighting sequences in France, I felt that the mood of the show shifted quite drastically to a sense of hopelessness. It was so sad during the middle of the second act, I honestly felt like leaving the production: it was in my opinion too much to handle. Although the show redeemed itself in the short run by reuniting both Joey and Albert, I sort of felt that this was a "cop-out" of an ending. I agree with the idea that if at the show was to continue at the pace it was already headed, it would have been a devastating experience for the audience and the play definitely would have been a flop; however, I thought the reuniting of the two lead characters seemed a little too perfect. Understanding the chances for such an ending in that war environment would have been slim to none, so watching such an unrealistic ending was unfavorable to me. I feel that perhaps if the second act had been redone to make it seem slightly less hopeless for the audience, and perhaps transformed the finale into a sad but meaningful ending, the audience could have left the theatre with emotion as well as a sense of understandings of the war, rather than fully concentrating on the reuniting of Joey and Albert.

All in all, I enjoyed the production of War Horse, and even though I would have liked a different ending for the play, I felt that the actors were wonderful.

Colleen Bromberger
UC Irvine

1 comment:

  1. You have really considered the performance and its impact on you as audience member. You make some incredibly interesting and valid comments. I particularly like the way you analyse why the play did NOT work for you. This is exactly what is exciting about personal response as everyone's will be somewhat different. Well done and I look forward to other, equally honest and intelligent reactions to theatrical events here in London. Dr Q

    ReplyDelete

Followers