Wednesday, September 15, 2010

We Will Rock You

Imagine a world set three hundred years in the future in which you have no freedom to play, write or listen to music from the past.  What few melodies you do hear are computer generated and any attempt to express your individualism is illegal.  This anti idealistic world is the backdrop for the musical We Will Rock You which featured the ever popular songs from the legendary musical group Queen.

Upon arrival into the majestic Freddy Mercury clad Dominion Theatre, hundreds of chatty theatre goers sat anxiously for the show to start.  Although I must admit that I was only originally drawn in to see the show due to my love of all songs Queen, by the end of the night I was thoroughly pleased with my decision to come view the performance and was just as enchanted with the production as a whole and not just the songs that were sung.  Before the show started, the stage looked a bit dreary with faded curtains and a scuffed up stage floor.  I was anxious that the show would be sub par, but my worries were in vain, for the second the show started, blasts of strobe lights, booming music, displays of fancy lighting technology and glamorously decorated stage sets came into view, my concerns disappeared and the show began.

The costumes were absolutely fantastic.  The main characters, Galileo and Sacramouche donned their bohemian rebel role amazingly in tight colorful leather,  ripped fishnets, spiky studded belts, flashy makeup and streaked hair.  Their sexy grungy punkesque look was drastically different from the clean cut Ga Ga kids who all dressed the same in sleek pretty cheerleader like outfits.  The main antagonist, the Killer Queen has the most outrageous and aesthetically pleasing clothes.  From tight red leather jumpsuits, cheetah print capes, mile high stilettos and tall pouffy hair there was always something to keep the eyes busy.

As for the actors, they did a marvelous job. They had clear loud and stunning voices and when they opened their mouths to sing it was beautiful and gave me the chills in only the best possible ways.  The Killer Queen was probably the most memorable.  She gave a performance that demanded attention form the entire audience every time she walked on stage and as evil as her role was, she was ever as elegant in all of her malevolence. The actress who played Sacramouche, the female protagonist, had the most talented vocals and my ears thirsted for her sweet melodies the whole night long.

The production crew also deserves praise for their crazily amazing sets and props.  During key plots in the show a high rise that spun in circles was erected from the middle of the stage and brought the actors at least fifteen or twenty feet above the stage and it was really cool to look at.

My only complaint for the night would be that the script lacked a bit of depth.  The plot was a little overly simple  and although I was so happy to hear all of my favorite Queen songs, it seemed as if they were placed in the show just for the purpose of being sung and did not often fit the plot too well.  The ending was a bit rushed as well.  

The show also encouraged audience performance and contribution which was really fun and made one feel that much more connected with the actors and the story.  During the we will rock you scene the actors had the entire audience waving and clapping their hands and dedicatedly singing along and it totally made me come home that night and re-listened to all my queen songs on my itunes.

By the end of the show I was incredibly content with the nights performance but definitely cranky because the song Bohemian Rhapsody had not been sung. It however was a planned encore song so I left the theatre all too happy.

The show was so worth it, I am so glad that I went and I had such a good time.  I would definitely see the show again If I ever come back to London.  This is a show that any queen lover or not could come to enjoy and leave feeling satisfied with the night.  Forgive my quick departure, I have some Queen songs that I am being beckoned to go listen to and to re-experience that night :)





Aimee Mesenburg

1 comment:

  1. An excellent personal reaction to the dystopic world devoid of music. You obviously enjoyed the evening and you express that exctitement with passion and verve. Dr Q

    ReplyDelete

Followers