Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Avenue Q: Making You Question Your Choice of Major Since 2003


Avenue Q was a spur of the moment thing. I hadn’t planned on seeing it when I came here (I was skeptical of how they would work puppets live onstage and make them believable). However, I had heard through word of mouth how funny it was and I knew of its good reviews and reputation in Broadway. So my friends and I decided to head out one Friday night and see it. By the time I grow old, I will have seen many more shows, and Avenue Q will be one of the most memorable. It was far funnier than I had expected. To this day, I still find myself laughing at certain parts.
            Avenue Q is set in a fictional area of New York City. It shows the lives of its inhabitants who all have reached a certain age, but have yet to find a true purpose in life, nor met any satisfying level of happiness. Main character Princeton is a 23-year-old expecting to find his “purpose in life” fresh out of college. Much to his dismay, his “purpose in life” has yet to make itself known. During his search, he makes friends with his Avenue Q neighbors, who are also in the same boat of aimless wandering during adulthood.
            The play itself is absolutely hilarious, and I think much of it is due to the actors onstage. The cast is made up of only seven people, so each person is essential to making this show work. I enjoyed Paul Spicer as Princeton, but loved him as Rod, the transparently gay man in denial of his sexuality. Perhaps it was Princeton himself that I didn’t give much attention too. He is essentially a representation of ourselves in adulthood, but I felt he was too “normal” for my taste. As Rod, Spicer truly comes alive and his over-the-top performance is adorable.
            Cassidy Janson as Kate Monster/Lucy the Slut is simply fantastic. I actually preferred her to Stephanie D’Abruzzo, the original actress to play the two characters in Broadway. Jansen’s performance as the high-pitched, innocent Kate and the low-toned, seductive Lucy displays how wide her vocal range is. I was surprised to hear two voices that were so different from each other coming out of the same singer. She was brilliant.
            However, I think the best talent of the show is Tom Parsons, who played multiple roles as Nicky (Rod’s lazy best friend and roommate), Trekkie Monster, and one of the Bad Idea Bears. While it is difficult to determine his singing talents – his parts don’t much call for it  - his voice talents with the puppets are very impressive. His execution of Trekkie Monster is especially wonderful, with his comedic timing and voice acting both hilarious and fitting. He also brought more quirkiness and absurdity to the puppet, a kind that I couldn’t really detect in past actors to fill the role.
            Overall, I would highly recommend Avenue Q. It has all the qualities of an amazing musical comedy: great music, skilled actors, and obviously, a hilarious story. You won’t regret it if you don’t see it, but it definitely will make your life a little brighter.

Mel Tayo

1 comment:

  1. This is a really enthusiastic review and makes me want to see the show. That is a great skill. I am really impressed with the way you express yourself. Good work indeed. Dr Q

    ReplyDelete

Followers