Sunday, September 26, 2010

War Horse



       
        Before I saw War Horse I had high expectations for it, mainly because of all the advertisements that I was bombarded by in the Tube stations claiming that it was the “theatre event of the deacde!”  I knew that this play would be unique because of its incredible life size puppets that I had heard about, but I could have never imagined that it would be so powerful and evoke such great emotions within me. What struck me the most was the minimal, yet extraordinary set, which really came to life through the almost dream-like lights and vivid screen that hovered above each scene.  I think the minimal set really represented so much because it gave me a sense that during this time period, people really didn’t have a lot and life was not about materialism.  Instead, it was about getting through the hardships of war and finding happiness through the safety of one's loved ones.  With such a minimal set, so much was left up to one’s imagination. It left a lot of room open for interpretation in the way that you could really have your own personal scene created in your mind while the play was going on.  It also placed more importance on the emotions of the actors and the horses. I felt like I was watching a movie at times because of how the mood that was set.  I really enjoyed the parts that were in slow motion and I have never seen anything like that done in a play.

 In addition, the music really added so much to the setting and mood of the play. I felt like it was simple and not overdone but it had so much emotion and it was so genuine. Each war song evoked a feeling of perseverance and these songs really represented a bond between the soldiers and their universal experiences, regardless of their backgrounds.  I noticed that a line that was sung often was “we are only remembered for what we have done”.  This play was really about ordinary soldiers, there weren’t great war heroes, but they were normal people that shared universal emotions about the idea of war, despite their country of origin.  Whether they were English, French, or German, they all were kept alive for the time being because of the memories of their loved ones that were somewhere out there waiting for them to come home.  None of them really wanted to be there fighting for a war that seemed to never end, they all desperately wanted to go back to their normal lives and see the faces of the ones they loved.  This story presented many universal truths and emotions, such as perseverance and inner strength.

Furthermore, I was surprised by the fact that the Germans weren’t presented as the enemy, due to Captain Nicholls' sympathetic feelings and actions towards Joey.  The connection that Joey and Captain Nicholls had added so much to the message of the play because it really broke down many of the preconceived ideas that I had about German soldiers from World War I.  I felt like the character of Joey was so powerful and so many human emotions were expressed during this play through his gestures and the reactions of others.  I didn't at all expect to be able to read his emotions so easily, but Joey definitely had his own voice through the reactions of other actors.  Finally, I appreciated the universal sense of compassion in this play and the notion that everyone needs something to hope for and someone to live for.  In the end, everyone needs someone to bring them through their darkest days and to give them hope that they will see the light of dawn.

-Lindsey Amos
UCSC

1 comment:

  1. What a moving and lucid account of your trip to see 'War Horse'. I am very impressed with your skill at describing the set, lighting and sound and how these added to your appreciation of the nihilism and hope of the piece. Your observations are fascinatingly sincere and you express your feelings with great skill. An excellently written response to a complex performance. Dr Q

    ReplyDelete

Followers